Yuri Santos Rego
Dr. Yuri Santos Rego
I am a postdoctoral researcher (wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter) in the Geometry Group of Prof. Petra Schwer at the Otto-von-Guericke Universität Magdeburg.
I got my PhD from the Universität Bielefeld under the supervision of Prof. Kai-Uwe Bux. Before that I got my Master's degree from the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Unicamp), advised by Prof. Dessislava Kochloukova, and my Bachelor degree from the Universidade de Brasília (UnB). In Brasília I was also a member of the groups PETMat-UnB and Theory of Computation under the guidance of Profs. Mauro Rabelo and Maurício Ayala-Rincón, respectively.
My research concerns properties of spaces and of their symmetries. The fun part is that the term "space" can be interpreted quite broadly, from a hairy ball to a comic book-like multiverse known as Bruhat-Tits building, from fundamental geometric shapes to model spaces describing the motion of a robot.
In this area one can investigate a wide variety of problems. For example, regarding the space we could ask whether there exist serious obstructions in it (such as holes of various dimensions), whether it is curved somehow, what happens when we move "forever" (i.e. "towards infinity"), or whether we can describe what happens over time with an object moving in the given space under certain rules.
As for the symmetries themselves, we might want to know for instance how many there are, whether we can describe them in a simple fashion, how they transform objects in the given space, whether there are points left unchanged by the symmetries, or about the relationship between given sets of symmetries of two spaces (possibly even the same!).
In more technical terms, my work so far has been mostly in combinatorial/geometric group theory and related topics from topology. I had/have particular interest in presentations, (cohomological) finiteness conditions, Reidemeister classes, and algorithmic questions. As such, I am very fond of geometric, topological, homological, and combinatorial aspects of groups and spaces on which they act.
Groups that I like include (but are not limited to) matrix groups (algebraic, Lie, (S-)arithmetic,...), R. Thompson's groups and their relatives, locally compact groups, and Artin-Tits groups. In the topological realm I also enjoy things like knots and links and questions about low-dimensional spaces.
As a former member of the group of Theory of Compuation in Brasília, I am also interested in formal methods in mathematics and proof assistants. I recent times I am also puzzled by Costas arrays.
- Twisted conjugacy in soluble arithmetic groups (joint with Paula Macedo Lins de Araujo), preprint, 2020. arXiv:2007.02988
- On the finiteness length of some soluble linear groups, preprint, 2019. arXiv:1901.06704
- Split-braid-merge diagrams, 3-manifolds, and conjugacy in a braided Thompson group (joint with Kai-Uwe Bux), preprint, 2018.
- Presentations of parabolics in some elementary Chevalley-Demazure groups, preprint, 2018. arXiv:1801.05320
- Formalization in PVS of balancing properties necessary for proving security of the Dolev-Yao cascade protocol model (joint with Maurício Ayala-Rincón), Journal of Formalized Reasoning, vol. 6, no. 1, 2013, 31--61. (pdf, full PVS theory: PVS 5.n, PVS 6.0)
Further written academic work
- Finiteness properties of split extensions of linear groups, PhD thesis, Universität Bielefeld, Bielefeld, 2019. pdf
- Spraiges, 3-manifolds, and conjugacy for a braided Thompson group, extended abstract, in: "Cohomological and metric properties of groups of homeomorphism of R" [Burillo, J., Bux, K.-U., Nucinkis, B. E. A. (orgs.)], Oberwolfach Rep., vol. 15, no. 2, 2018, 1579--1633. pdf
- A desigualdade de Golod-Šafarevič para grupos pro-p e grupos abstratos, Master's dissertation, Unicamp, Campinas, 2014. (pdf, in Portuguese)
- Vivências matemáticas (joint with Paula Macedo Lins de Araujo and Mauro Luiz Rabelo), in: Anais do II EnaPETMAT, pp. 7, Universidade Federal do Goiás (UFG), Goiânia, 2010. (pdf, in Portuguese)
At the OvGU I organize the WISST! - das "What is..."-Seminar nach'm Tee!, where we get to learn new stuff from Maths and Didactics in an informal environment.
The previous Buildings Conference (2019) took place here in Magdeburg, organized by Petra and myself.
The IAG runs a joint Oberseminar, check out its homepage for announcements and program.
From the WiSe2017/2018 to the WiSe2018/19 I was also co-organizer of the Oberseminar Gruppen und Geometrie in Bielefeld.
In June 2018 I served as a reporter for the Oberwolfach Workshop on Cohomological and metric properties of groups of homeomorphisms of R.
Together with Benjamin Brück and Eduard Schesler I organized the Block Seminar on Arithmetic groups and rigidity, which took take place in Bielefeld in March 2018. The most recent Block Seminar, Constructions of aspherical manifolds and complexes, was organized by our colleagues from Regensburg and took place on the Frauenchiemsee in September 2018.
Upcoming (?) events:
I take the opportunity to urge everyone to follow the recommendations from their local health authorities (such as the Robert-Koch-Institut here in Germany) and let's do our best to fight the pandemic. Flatten the curve, be responsible, be compassionate, and stay healthy!
Outside the OvGU, you might have recently heard about my work at...
- the Oberwolfach Workshop "Geometric Structures in Group Theory",
- the online version of the Tee-Seminar from Münster,
- a lightning talk at the Young Geometric Group Theory in Saint-Jacut-de-la-Mer,
- the LKS-Seminar of the Uni Regensburg,
- the Seminar Geometrie of the TU Dresden,
- Buildings, Varieties, and Applications at the MPI Leipzig.
In recent times I might have been spotted at the following events:
- Arbeitsgruppe Geometrie, Magdeburg
- Institut für Algebra und Geometrie, Magdeburg
- Arbeitsgruppe Gruppen und Geometrie, Bielefeld
- Fun stuff
- Zentralblatt MATH
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), Deutschland
- Deutscher akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD), Deutschland
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq), Brasil
- Fakultät für Mathematik, Magdeburg
- Fakultät für Mathematik, Bielefeld
- Instituto de Matemática, Estatística e Computação Científica (IMECC), Campinas
- Departamento de Matemática, Brasília
- Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada (IMPA), Rio de Janeiro
- Mathematsches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach (MFO), Oberwolfach
- A link to my CV Lattes (in Portuguese)
In der Vergangenheit war ich Tutor für die Vorlesungen Lineare Algebra für Physik (Evaluationsergebnisse) und Gruppentheorie (Evaluationsergebnisse) in Bielefeld sowie für die Kurse Cálculo 1, Cálculo 3, Introdução à álgebra linear, Álgebra 2, Álgebra 3 und Análise 1 in Brasília. Hier an der OvGU leite ich verschiedene Übungsgruppen.
Im aktuellen Semester bin ich mit folgenden Lehrveranstaltungen beschäftigt. Weitere Infos zu den Vorlesungen bzw. Übungsgruppen finden Sie auf den entsprechenden Seiten des IAG.